Monday 5 August 2013

Richard Meier in New York City, April 2009.
BornOctober 12, 1934
Newark, New Jersey
NationalityAmerican
AwardsPritzker Prize (1984)
AIA Gold Medal (1997)
PracticeRichard Meier & Partners
BuildingsBarcelona Museum of Contemporary Art
City Hall and Central Library, The Hague
Getty Center, Los Angel




ARCHITECTURAL PHOTOGRAPHY 
I have chosen Richard Meier as my favourite photographer. His is one of the best architect. I am fascinated by his work, his achievement in the field of architect, In 1984 he was awarded the Pritzker Prize and In 2008 he won the gold medal in architecture from the Academy of Arts and Letters. And the fact that after sometime in the field of Architect he has established his own practice. It is been said that his practice has included housing and private residences, museums, high-tech and medical facilities, commercial buildings and such major civic commissions as courthouses and city halls in the United States and Europe.  Among his most well-known projects are the High Museum in Atlanta and plenty other. Mr Meier has worked in many project in the Architectural field such as the Atheneun in New Harmony, Indiana, and the Bronx Developmental Center in New York. And it is said that all the above mentioned buildings or rather project have received National Honour Awards from the American Institute of Architects (AIA).

His work needs no explanation they do the talking, such as the above photograph.

The above picture was taken by Richard Meier it is said that this photo shows the art side of architect. Where it shows both a new building that is far back combined with the old one in the front, where the new is more appealing because of the windows that are more visible in the picture that automatically grabs the attention of the viewers. I like this photo because it has combined two building in one picture and the angle that he showed, it is fascinating how he showed the windows in the new building 

Mr Meier is such an versatile person, looking at the fact that his work builds on the work of architects of the early to mid-20th century, especially that of Le Corbusier where he combines Le Corbusier's work of he’s  early phase. The above photo is an example of such combination.




UJ




My photograph is a picture of my campus Auckland Park Kingsway, university of Johannesburg, when I took this picture I tried to imitate Mr Meier’s ways of photographing photo. I tried to be closer as I can to the building so I can able to take a clear angle that will show or rather represent certain image to the viewers of my blog. I tried to make the photo more appealing than telling a story through it. I took it early in the morning where the sun was still blasting, in that way I knew that my picture was going to be more appealing and clear. I choose to show the end of the building because I loved the appearance of the sky in the end of it.    





                                                    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment